Friday, August 21, 2009

Importing the virtual machine succeeded but with the following warning.

When importing a virtual machine to Hyper-V R2 you might see the following error dialog:

Importing the virtual machine succeeded but with the following warning.

Import completed with warnings.

I have seen this error quite a bit, and I must say that it is no reason for panic.  Your VM is safe.

If you open the error and read the detail, you will see what really went wrong.  (Click on that See details down arrow).

Well, psyche.  That details box is rarely helpful – it simply points you to the proper event log- then you being digging.

Each time I have seen this error the repair has been the same.  Simply open the settings of the virtual machine and connect the virtual NIC to the proper virtual network switch.

Also, each time I have seen this the leading events have been the same.  I created the Export from Hyper-V v1 and I am importing to Hyper-V R2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great answer. You are about the only one who has answer this correctly. I have spend so much time just trying to figure out why the error. It does not really tell you much. Give me some more insight if you could about how can I connect the virtual nic to a proper switch please.

BrianEh said...

In the article I mention that you simply edit the settings of the VM after to Import it.

And, if you do this using a script, you have to do it the same way.

Import, note error, find the External Virtual Network (or create one) connected to the proper physical network segment, open the settings of the VM, select the virtual network adapter, select the correct virtual network.

If you need to know more about virtual networks, check out the network section here: http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2009/12/hypervisor-virtualization-basics.html